Beef Wellington is one of those dishes that looks really impressive but is easy as pie to make.
This recipe can be prepared in just over an hour including making veggies on the side.
You can choose to also put a layer of pate between the beef and mushroom mixture but I don’t always include it as it does make it much richer.
Preparation time: 25 minutes Cooking time: 35 minutes
- 500g piece of good quality beef fillet , tied at intervals with string
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 10 slices of thinly sliced prosciutto
- 6 large mushrooms diced very finely
- 1 small onion diced very finely
- 3 garlic cloves crushed to a paste
- handful of thyme leaves stripped from the stem
- 2 tablespoons butter and a dash of olive oil
- 1 egg beaten
- 2 sheets of puff pastry defrosted
- 2-3 potatoes peeled and chopped into quarters
- Broccoli florets or green beans
1. Defrost puff pastry. Heat non-stick frying pan until hot. Sear beef for 2-3 minutes to brown and seal all sides.
2. Place beef on plate and put in the freezer for 15 minutes. Pre-heat oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
3. While beef is cooling, Place peeled and chopped potatoes rubbed with olive oil on a baking tray and place on lower shelf of oven.
4. Then the mushroom mixture. Heat pan again and add olive oil and butter to melt, then add onion and cook until transparent, add garlic paste and thyme leaves and mix through, then add chopped mushrooms, season with black pepper until just cooked through and moisture evaporates. Mixture should be dry. Put on a flat plate and place in the freezer to cool for 5 minutes.
5. Remove beef from freezer, remove string, rub all over with mustard.
6. Lie prosciutto slices flat on a sheet of plastic wrap, overlapping the prosciutto to form a base to wrap the beef in. Place beef at one edge of the sheet of prosciutto and roll over using the plastic wrap to help create a neat parcel.
7. Place on piece of the puff pastry sheets with a slight overlap, sealing the two pieces together to create one large base sheet. Place beef on the pastry to encase it and seal the ends using a fork. Use excess pastry to create strips and pastry leaves to decorate the parcel. Brush with beaten egg.
8. Place parcel carefully on an oven tray lined with baking paper and bake in oven for 30 minutes until puff pastry is puffed and golden. Check potatoes and turn. While beef is cooking, microwave broccoli or green beans pieces until just cooked.
9. Rest for 5-10 minutes before slicing in thickish and serving with roast potatoes and broccoli. Dinner for 4.
One thought on “Beef Wellington #easyaspie”
Always spectacular for any dinner party Shanthini