Baked another small ham today for picnics and snacking over the new year break! Glazed and baked ham is so good and I wonder why we don’t make it more often?
This ham bought from our favourite butchers Nicholas & Co at Edgecliff Shopping Centre was of the ver6 best quality and that shines through in the end product.
The glaze is a combination of a number of simple recipes and results in a delicious sweet, mustard flavoured ham which is perfect for just picking at or on a bit of good bread.
Prep time: 15 minutes cooking time: 1.15 minutes
- 1.5 kg ham off the bone
- 2 tablespoons seeded mustard
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons smooth apricot jam
1. Pre-heat oven to 170 degrees Celsius
2. Remove skin and all but a very thin layer of fat from the ham, score ham to create a Criss-cross pattern that creates diamonds across the surface of the ham.
3. Mix up sugar and mustard together, smother ham in this mixture.
4. Stud the intersections of the diamond shapes with the cloves.
5. Pat on extra sugar, mustard mixture if any “gaps” appear.
6.place ham in a foil tin or a baking tray well lined with foil and baking paper to avoid glaze getting on your pan.
7. Cook ham in oven for 45 minutes.
8. Put the apricot jam in a microwave proof container and heat for 1,5 minutes until starting to melt. Mix with spoon and “glob” it over the ham so it oozes over the top without moving the sugar mustard mixture.
9. Bake for further 20-30 minutes until glaze is browned and “stuck” to the ham.
10. Allow ham to rest for a while until ham is cooled to warm. Place on platter or board in a handy location so passersby can slice and nibble. keep in fridge for handy family snack for upcoming new year’s festivities.