Made these smashed roast potatoes to go with a Greek Beef Stifado(stew) last night. The resulting lemony, garlicky, crispy potatoes were delicious and be great as an accompaniment any time. Thought I’d share for your enjoyment.
Prep time: 5 minutes Cooking time: 35 minutes or so
8-10 baby potatoes
5 cloves of garlic
Juice of 1/2 lemon
4 tablespoons olive oil
4-5 cups Water for boiling potatoes
1. Bring water to a boil with 1 teaspoon of salt in a large pot, ensuring enough water to comfortably cover potatoes. Add potatoes and garlic cloves.
2. Heat oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
3. When potatoes are tender and starting to split, drain and allow to “dry out” for 5 minutes or so
4. Seperate garlic cloves from potatoes and place in a mortar and pestle. Mash garlic cloves then add lemon juice, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon of ground black pepper, and olive oil. Mix well together until a creamy vinaigrette is formed.
5. Cut or smash potatoes in dish and sprinkle vinaigrette over the potatoes. (You can sprinkle with some thyme at this point too if you like.) Gently mix to coat potatoes in garlic, lemon oil.
6. Roast potatoes until outside and edges crisp up and brown. Turn heat up to 250 degrees to finish if needed to get a really crispy outer.