This is a very more-some banana loaf with a crunchy maple syrup walnut crust.
Organic Coconut Flour is a delicious, low carbohydrate, high-fibre, grain-free alternative to wheat flour. It is made from fresh organic coconut flesh. This cake also uses the natural sugar of maple syrup rather than sugar. So you can enjoy it almost guilt free!
It just involves a bit of hand whisking and mixing so is fuss-free and doesn’t require beaters or mixers.
Prep time: 15 minutes Cooking time: 40-45 minutes
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup maple syrup and another 2 tablespoons for walnut crust
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1tsp vanilla essence
- 2 large or 3 smaller overripe bananas mashed
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1.5 cups coconut flour
- 1/4 cup desiccated coconut
- 1 cup chopped walnuts (1/2 for cake mixture and 1/2 for crust)
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate soda
- 1.5 teaspoons baking powder
- Pinch of salt
1. Pre-heat oven to 160 degrees Celsius
2. Coat a loaf pan (22cm long) with oil, then line with baking powder. The oil sticks the paper to the pan.
3. In one large bowl whisk eggs, oil and maple syrup until well combined.
4. In another bowl mash bananas with vanilla essence. then add to egg mixture and mix well.
5. In a third large bowl, mix together dry ingredients: coconut flour, desiccated coconut, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon powder, salt, 1;2 the chopped walnuts, baking soda and baking powder.
6.Make a well in the centre of the flour and pour egg mixture into the centre, mix well until combined. It will have the consistency of a thick dough almost.
7. In another bowl mix the rest of the walnuts (about half a cup) with 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon powder and 2 tablespoons or so of maple syrup.
8. Put the cake mixture into the loaf tin and then spread walnuts over the top, pressing the walnut mixture firmly into the top.
9. Bake in oven for 40-45 minutes until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
10. Allow to cool then remove from pan, slice and enjoy!