These beef ribs were delicious with corn and a spinach and brocccoline salad with quick pickled onions. Inspired by a friend in Brisbane who made them last night!
Prep time: 2 hours Cooking time: 3.5-4 hours
Beef short ribs, trimmed – about 1kg bone in for 2 people
Spice rub: 1 tablespoon brown sugar, 1 teaspoon paprika, 1/2 teaspoon cummin powder, 1/2 teaspoon chilli powder, 1/2 teaspoon chilli flakes, 1 teaspoon onion powder, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1.5 tablespoons olive oil
Homemade bbq marinade sauce: 1/4 cup tomato ketchup, 2 tablespoons smoky bbq sauce, 1.5 tablespoons cider vinegar, 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce, 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard, 1/2 tablespoon soy sauce
Salad; Broccolini, baby spinach, 1/2 red onion, 3 tablespoons cider vinegar, salt pepper, 1 tablespoon olive oil
Corn: corn on the cob, salt, water to cover, salt, pepper and a dob or two of butter to finish
1. Make spice rub, then massage well into beef short ribs, allow to marinate at room temperature for just on 2 hours (or overnight in fridge but bring to room temp before cooking).
2. Heat oven to 120 degrees celcius
3. Cover roasting pan in foil, then put another layer of foil and place ribs on it, then cover with another piece of foil and crimp edges to create a tented sealed foil package. Place in oven. (Slice half a red onion and pickle in 3 tablespoon cider vinegar)
4. Make bbq sauce and marinade/brush with bbq sauce every hour for 3 hours.
5. Uncover tops of beef, raise oven temp to 200 degrees Celsius, brush with bbq sauce and cook for 1/2 hour to melt fat on top and crisp. While finishing beef boil corn and make green salad, adding drained pickled onions. I used baby spinach and blanched broccolini with a dash of olive oil, salt and pepper.
6. For last ten minutes add thyme leaves, and turn on top grill to finish cooking off top layer of fat.
7. rest beef for 10-15 minutes and serve with corn and salad!