This recipe combines 3 delicious things, my version of lite butter chicken curry, peas and puff pastry. My theory goes that skipping cream in the chicken filling recipe makes up for the butter in the puff pastry!
Lovely with just salad on the side and also great picnic food.
Prep time: 40 minutes Cooling: 20 minutes Baking: 20 minutes
Ingredients for 4 pies
- 400g chicken thigh fillets cut into small pieces
- 1 onion finely diced
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
- 1 teaspoon crushed ginger
- 1 teaspoon cummin seeds
- 1/2 piece of cinammon bark or quill
- 1 teaspooon nigella seeds
- Handful of curry leaves (optional)
- 1 teaspoon cummin powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon chilli powder
- I cup of water
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1/4 cup of plain yoghurt
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup of frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup chopped coriander
- 3 sheets store-bought puff pastry
- 1 egg beaten for brushing pastry
A. Begin by turning on oven to preheat to 220 degrees Celsius and take out 3 sheets of puff pastry to allow to thaw.
B Make filling and pies
1. Heat vegetable oil in a heavy based pot over medium heat.
2. Add cummin, seeds, cinnamon stick and curry leaves if using and stir until fragrant. Ensure cummin seeds don’t burn.
3. Add onions and cook gently until transparent and soft. Add ginger and garlic paste and mix through the onions.
4. Add cummin powder, turmeric and chilli powder and stir though onion mixture until just heated through. Take care not to burn the spices.
5. Add chicken, salt, nigella seeds. Stir fry until chicken is sealed, then add water and simmer for 15 minutes.
6. While chicken is cooking line pie tins with baking paper, then cut out circles of puff pastry to fit into bottom of pie tins, prick bottom of pastry with a fork. Line with another layer of baking paper, add pie weights or dried beans and blind bake in oven for 10 minutes until pastry is cooked and just turning golden. remove from oven and set aside.
6. Add yoghurt and butter to the chicken curry mixture and bring back to a simmer, then add peas and cook for further 5 minutes until peas are just tender. The chicken should be cooked by now and the sauce reduced to create a moist filling without too much extra sauce left.
7. Sprinkle generously with chopped coriander and set aside to cool for 15-20 minutes.
8. When chicken mixture has cooled to lukewarm, remove pie weights/beans and top layer of baking paper from pastry cases but leave them in the pie tins.
9. Heap chicken mixture into pie cases to form small mounds, don’t forget to remove the cinammon stick.
10. Cover tops of pies with a larger circle of puff pastry crimping edge of uncooked pastry onto the pastry cases, prick top or make a small cut in top to allow steam to escape, use the back of a fork to Mark the edges, then brush with egg yolk and place in oven for 10-15 minutes or until tops are golden and puffed. Don’t worry if they are a bit untidy, they look nice and rustic when done.
11. Allow to cool/rest for 5 minutes or so and serve with salad. If packing for a picnic best to allow to cool for at least half an hour before packing.
4 thoughts on “Butter Chicken & Pea Pies #tastypies”
That sounds amazing!
Thank you…hope your try and enjoy!
Love this recipe! You should checkout my chicken recipe too!! ( by clicking the name)