A favourite Indian breakfast and famous street food which is just as good for a quick lunch or dinner. There are lots of different versions and you can experiment by adding chopped bacon bits, tomatoes or even finely diced boiled potato.
I made this today for Father’s Day breakfast served with crunchy sourdough toast and sausages.
- 1 small onion very finely diced
- 1 large mushroom finely diced (optional)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 or 2 cloves garlic smashed to a paste
- 2 green birdseye chillies finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cummin powder
- 1/4 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cummin seeds
- 2-3 curry leaves (optional)
- 1 tablespoon diced coriander
- 3 large eggs beaten
1. Heat oil and 1 tablespoon of butter in a non stick frying pan over medium heat.
2. Add cumin seeds and curry leaves if using. Heat until fragrant.
3. Add onions and cook slowly over gentle heat until translucent, then add garlic and sauté for a minute.
4. Add turmeric, cumin and chilli powders and sauté until cooked into onions, about 1.5 minutes. Then add green chilli and mushrooms or other ingredients you may choose to add, like cooked bacon bits or finely diced boiled potatoes. Add a sprinkle of salt. Cook for 1-2 minutes until heated through.
5. Add the other tablespoon of butter, add eggs and scramble until egg is cooked to your liking.
6. Toast bread and pile on booji, garnish with coriander and enjoy!
One thought on “#Booji Breakfast: spicy Indian scrambled #eggs”
These look absolutely delicious
Love something slightly different for a great start to the day..