This classic Thai inspired salad is a great weekday summer dinner that is very tasty.
We are currently using herbs from pots in our courtyard that are thriving through the Sydney summer. Mint, coriander, chilies and basil are essential for this recipe and luckily close to hand at the moment.
I serve this with lettuce cups and some jasmine rice making for a quick but satisfying lunch or dinner. Also perfect for leftovers for lunch the next day.
- 500g lean pork mince
- 3-4 cloves of garlic finely sliced
- 2 tbspoons Vegetable oil
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1/4 cup of lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 2 red chillies finely chopped (and 2 left whole optional)
- 1 small red onion finely sliced
- 1/2 cup mint leaves
- 1/2 cup coriander leaves
- 1/2 cup basil leaves
- 1 small Lebanese cucumber cut into sticks
- 4-5 lettuce leaves trimmed to create cups
- Lettuce trimmings
- 1 cup frozen or fresh green beans
1. Slice onions and garlic and set aside
2. Trim lettuce to create cups, place in freezer to crisp up, keep trimmings to add to salad.
3. Chop chillies, coriander and make cucumber sticks. (do not chop basil and mint as these are better torn and scattered into the salad at the last minute)
4. Squeeze lime juice and set aside.
5. Blanch green beans until just tender if using fresh green beans.
5. Heat vegetable oil in a wok, add sesame oil, add garlic and fry till just golden.
6. Add pork mince (and whole chillies if using) fry until browned. (I put the whole chillies in as they are there for extra spice if required for chilli heads without making the whole salad too hot to handle)
6. Add fish sauce, 1/2 the lime juice, pepper, sugar, chillies and stir through, then add green beans and allow to simmer for 1-2 minutes until beans are heated through. Add some water here if required but not too much as you don’t want too much liquid.
7. Add all other ingredients to wok, including rest of lime juice, and tearing in mint and basil leaves. Gently toss. Taste to see if balance is how you like it, as you can always splash in more fish sauce or lime juice….or chop up one of the whole chillies if not spicy enough for you.
8. Serve with lettuce cups and jasmine rice.