This zesty finger lime cucumber salad was a delicious accompaniment to our warm beef salad, and would also be lovely with grilled or poached fish or chicken.
A friend of ours had gifted us native Australian finger limes which are becoming a very trendy ingredient on restaurant menus “down-under”, but they are still difficult to find in shops. If you see any, make sure you grab them as you will love their unique “caviar” like texture with tiny balls of lime that pop in your mouth.
You can read more about this intriguing fruit https://tuckerbush.com.au/finger-lime-citrus-australasica/
I really wanted to make a dish that would showcase their flavour n texture ad thought cucumbers would be a good “backdrop” for this purpose.
I found this great recipe on The Devil Wears Salad but didn’t have all the ingredients to hand so improvised with things I had to hand.
The resulting cucumber salad topped with the caviar-like pearls of finger lime was delicious and the perfect zesty accompaniment to our warm beef salad.
(Thanks Helen for gifting us such a wonderful new ingredient!)
- 2 Lebanese cucumbers
- 4-5 ripe finger limes
- 1 red chilli (deseeded if you prefer)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon crushed fresh ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon white wine or rice vinegar
1. Slice and chop one cucumber into small chunks. I slice then quarter each slice. Then using a large vegetable peeler, “peel” the second cucumber into long ribbons. Mix the 2 styles of cucumber in a bowl and set aside.
2. Chop the chilli finely and crush the ginger.
3. Mix together the soy sauce, sesame oil, crushed ginger , chopped chilli, and vinegar in a small bowl.
3. Cut the finger limes in half, horizontally. Onto a plate, Squeeze the end of each half gently but firmly until “pearls” of lime emerge. Repeat with all lime halves until you have a glistening pile of finger lime “caviar”. (You want to do this as close to serving your salad as possible so the finger lime pearls don’t dry up and clump together in lumps)
5. Gently toss dressing through cucumbers, then place the dressed cucumbers on a serving plate and scatter the finger lime caviar over the salad and serve immediately.
2 thoughts on “Zesty Finger Lime Cucumber Salad”
Love finger limes!
My prawn dipping sauce.
I cup plain yoghurt
1 cup whole egg mayo
10cm of tube wasabi (to your taste)
2-3 medium finger limes.
Mix the wasabi with a few teaspoons of yoghurt to get the lumps out then combine all ingredients in a bowl and blend until smooth!
Dip your tigers and enjoy pops of citrus with creamy heat!
Yum sounds delicious, thanks for sharing! Now to find more finger limes.