Discovered the concept of using 90 second microwave brown rice as an addition to salads!
It’s a great way to add some healthy carbs for a delicious lunch or as a side.
This combination of balsamic, beetroot, onions, lentils and walnuts with a good dollop or two of lemony yoghurt dressing is very delicious.
Serve it warm or cold.
Pack of 4 pre-cooked fresh baby beetroots (available in supermarkets in Australia)
1 can brown lentils
250g 90 second microwave brown rice
1/2 red onion sliced thinly
1/2 cup copped continental parsley
1/2 cup walnuts
3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1/2 cup plain Greek yoghurt
Juice of half a lemon
1. Cut beetroot into wedges, heat oil in non-stick pan, cook beetroot for 2-3 minutes, add vinegar and sugar and cook another 2-3 minutes until vinegar evaporates. Remove from heat.
2. Slice onions, chop parsley, squeeze lemon juice. Drain lentils. Mix yoghurt with pinch of salt and lemon juice.
3. Toast walnuts in a non-stick pan..be careful not to burn.
4. Cook 90 second brown rice
5. Put warm rice into a salad bowl, add drained lentils, onions, beetroot, parsley. Mix gently. Then top with toasted walnuts.
6. Dress salad with yoghurt lemon dressing.